If a lost tooth is not replaced by replacement options like dental implants, you may find normal oral functions like eating and speaking somewhat challenging. The smile’s alignment and appearance will also be affected, but that is not all. Tooth loss causes bone deterioration. Dental implants can halt the progression of bone loss, but the…
Pros and Cons of Braces for Orthodontics
Braces have been used for orthodontics for over a century. They move teeth by applying force on them, slowly pushing them to a better alignment. Braces are made up of brackets that are attached to each tooth and wires that connect all the brackets on a dental arch. Increasing tension in these wires increases the force being applied to the patient’s teeth. Pushing teeth to a better alignment is the idea that powers orthodontics.
Braces are highly recommended by dentists when it comes to fixing severe bite issues. Treatment times are typically somewhere between one to three years. Braces are easily noticed when worn, however, and that makes some people reluctant to straighten their teeth with them.
Fortunately, more aesthetically pleasing options like ceramic braces have been developed. Ceramic braces have similar parts as metal braces, but the metallic components are replaced with transparent and tooth-colored parts. As a result, it is harder to notice them on teeth.
Pros and cons of orthodontics with braces
Most people think of braces when orthodontics is mentioned. The benefits of straightening teeth with braces include:
- Traditional braces can be used to treat a wider range of orthodontic issues than clear aligners, such as problems caused by a person’s jaw being improperly positioned
- Braces tend to lead to better outcomes compared to clear aligners
- Braces are typically more affordable than clear aligners
- Braces work 24/7, and that can lead to shorter treatment times
- Braces being non-removable can be a plus for the parents of children who need orthodontic treatment
- There is no way that a person can lose their braces
- Braces are more effective at straightening children’s teeth
- Ceramic braces provide decent aesthetics
- Braces are sturdier than clear aligners
However, there are downsides to fixing bite issues with braces. The most common ones include:
- Metal braces can ruin a person's smile
- People who wear braces often must avoid foods that need to be bitten into, like apples or corn, since this can lead to food particles getting stuck underneath the appliance or cause damage
- Braces being non-removable makes it harder to clean teeth and eat during treatment
- Treatment with braces typically requires monthly visits to a dentist
- Braces are more challenging to clean than clear aligners
Braces can get you a straight smile
Braces might not be the most aesthetically pleasing oral appliances used to straighten teeth, but they get the job done. Call or visit our Portland clinic to learn more about how oral appliances like braces can be used to fix problems with your bite.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Orthodontics in Portland, OR.
A general dentist can help to address any teeth alignment issues your child is dealing with. Braces have been used to straighten teeth for centuries, and they remain one of the most effective ways to address bite issues. Braces work by applying constant pressure on the wearer’s teeth, gradually improving their alignment.Braces are fixed appliances…
Dental restoration can be used to rebuild and restore the function of damaged teeth. They can also be used to restore the aesthetics of damaged teeth. Tooth decay is one of the main reasons teeth become damaged, but other factors like trauma to the face or habits like nail biting or teeth grinding can lead…
Teeth whitening is one of the most common cosmetic dentistry procedures, giving people a fast and affordable way to improve their smile. Almost everyone who chooses teeth whitening will notice moderate to significant improvement in the whiteness and brightness of their smile. Teeth whitening involves removing stains and discolorations from the teeth.Whitening treatments are customizable…